Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Arbitrary Graphic- Research Design

I chose a color scheme of simple colors, using various shades of the colors for distinction. The timeline section of this design, with the dates, is at the top, as it is the most important element and I wanted to show its priority. I wanted to keep the borders and lines clear and easily distinguished, so I made them thicker and more bold. I didn't want the type to be unreadable, so I made the fils of all the boxes the lightest shade of the color, so that way the connections between the lines and the boxes would be clear but it would still be readable and not distracting. I made the two sections that were the same action (administering an online survey) the same color to show that they were the same action, repeated, and to give a strong connection between them. I kept the boxes stating who was involved in each particular activity in the same color of green so that it would be consistent and the viewer would know where to look for that information on the various dates. The information that mainly involved the research (such as the dates, and the components that would be done apart from the students and teachers) are in grayscale to make another distinction between types of information. I think this color scheme could be applicable to any potential age group or audience and isn't overly childish or only interesting to certain audience groups or ages.

I think my target audience would be those interested in this research, potentially to approve the plan of the researcher that is being presented, or to be involved in the research to some extent, or to perhaps just have a sense of what a timeline for research would look like. Regardless, I think this design is clear and simple and could be easily altered for different needs of the client or audience if need be.

By creating a timeline, I think the information is organized in a way that makes sense to us chronologically and in terms of what needs to be done when, as that is the most important thing in research. Keeping to a schedule is important, and I think this makes that easy to do. The dates stand out and are easily seen, and the information that goes with each date is beneath it, which I think is a logical flow to the graphic overall. I think having the colors united with the lines to the dates from the information helps that overall flow make easy sense as well, as the viewer just has to look at everything in the same color family to make the connections and understand what is going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment