Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Guess the Concept- Grouping Challenge Poster


The assignment was to create a poster that conveyed a word about ourselves without ever stating the word. We had to use at least 10 elements of imagery or text. I used Photoshop and InDesign to design this poster. Guess my word!

I used the light pattern of dots in the background to give a sort of frame to the poster and aligned the type with the edges of it and bring the eye inward to the middle of the poster. I used repetition in the circle shape with the same stroke and patterned border to connect the various components of the design. My name is at the top in a bold font, as that is the purpose and subject of the overall design.

I used the overlay of a transparent map image over the two images (that I took on various trips I have gone on to make it even more related to myself personally) to emphasize the "traveler" idea. This also made a stronger connection between all the images that were unique and not necessarily connected in subject. The size of the images shows priority- Paris was the favorite place I have visited so it is the largest image. Costa Rica was the next largest and my next favorite. The images of the maps at the top are smaller because they are full of places I haven't traveled and therefore haven't made memories in to make them very prominent in my life.

I used the two-toned color blocked background (also in the golden section proportions with how much of the page they take up) with neutral tones to keep it subtle and also show that I'm not a very overpowering person, but more simple and reserved. Overall, I didn't want this to be an overwhelming design or anything too dramatic, but more simplistic and understated. I listed the countries I have visited in a sans serif font in a repetitive list with the same style, and then used the same font but in a bigger and then bolder font to show where I will be traveling next, also aligning it with the edge of the dot background.

My word was TRAVELER.

No comments:

Post a Comment